The concept devised by Limelight was known as the "Spoil Yourself" campaign. Over a five-month period, each month Sof n'free gave away a fun shopping spree to one lucky winner and two friends, each valued at R30 000. To enter, consumers had to purchase any Sof n'free product, sms "Sof n free" and a friend's cell number and retain the till slip to qualify.
The campaign burst in September 2007 and ended in February 2008 with the final winner show being flighted in March 2008. The campaign was supported with full-page print ads as well as in-store point-of-sale, consisting of category banners, information leaflets, super coupon units, shelf defenders, brand blockers and box banner ads and free-standing units, to increase stock presence in stores.
Phemelo and Siphokazi, the current brand ambassadors, anchored the campaign and acted as hosts to the lucky winners on their shopping sprees. Phemelo has had an association with Sof n'free for some time and was an additional draw for long-standing Sof n'free consumers who wanted to meet her. Siphokazi, who has been working with Sof n'free for the past year, drew the younger consumers who couldn't wait to meet her!
Red Cherry Media produced a 30" launch promo for TV which communicated the entry mechanisms of the campaign. Thereafter, five two-minute shows were produced (one show was flighted each month). Each winner and their friends enjoyed a hair make-over with Sof n'free products, ahead of the shopping spree. During the show, the winner was asked about her favourite Sof n'free products and then viewers watched as one very excited Sof n'free winner and her friends went on a shopping spree with Phemelo and Siphokazi.
Red Cherry Media produced a number of maintenance promos throughout the period. The 30" maintenance promos showed ‘snippets' of the previous winners and also reminded viewers of how to enter.
The interactive airtime was also planned and booked by Red Cherry Media in accordance with Amka's Media Manager.
An independent research company reported the following:
- A database of 32,000 Sof n'free users was created (14,000 of which were via the viral marketing element).
- It is quite apparent that the Red Cherry application gave the competition a strong boost.
- Hourly SMS statistics reflect that the entries peaked between 17h00 and 18h00; this was due to the TV activity implemented by Red Cherry Media.
- Daily graphs reflect a consistent pattern of peaking on the days the TV ad was run with an overflow of high entries for the next few days, indicating a strong awareness was created from the TV ad.
- The daily graph also reflects that the TV ad helped to increase brand awareness and interaction by consumers began to grow after the ad or show flightings.
This short format show took a sassy and fun look at women's needs - specifically, hair care and the need to shop!
The show was designed to create ‘talkability' about the Sof n'free brand as well as to give the campaign longevity and a wide audience reach. Most importantly the show increased sales!
Following the success of this campaign, AMKA products are doing various initiatives with Red Cherry Media for their other brands.